[FOM] FOM: BLC 3RD SUMMER ANNOUNCEMENT

John Corcoran corcoran at buffalo.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:38:20 EDT 2008

BUFFALO LOGIC COLLOQUIUM
2008 THIRTY-NINTH YEAR
THIRD SUMMER ANNOUNCEMENT
QUOTE OF THE MONTH: ROSENBLOOM ON SYLLOGISTIC: A great deal of nonsense has
been written even by otherwise competent authors on the relation between
Boolean algebra and the Aristotelian logic of classes.  The fact is that the
latter is consistent and can be formulated as a perfectly good deductive
science.  Many writers interpret Aristotle’s “All As are Bs” by “A is a
subset of B” and his “Some As are Bs” by “the intersection of A with B is
non-empty” for arbitrary elements in a Boolean algebra and then find that
some of Aristotle’s valid moods do not hold.  This, they say, shows that his
logic is fallacious.  There is, however, no reason why this particular
interpretation must be accepted as the only one:  rather the consistency of
Aristotle’s system and the failure of this interpretation show that this one
can not be accepted.—Paul Rosenbloom 1950, 196-7.

THIRD MEETING
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
12:00-1:30 P.M.
141 Park Hall

SPEAKER: John Corcoran, Philosophy, University of Buffalo.
TITLE: Aristotle’s Logic at the University of Buffalo.
ABSTRACT: Among the things that the University of Buffalo’s Department of
Philosophy will be remembered for, one is likely to be the half-century-long
tradition of contributing to our understanding of the most important logic
book ever written: Aristotle’s Organon. One of the first contributions in
the series is William Parry’s “Quantification of the predicate and
many-sorted logic” in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 22 (1966),
342-60. One of the last contributions to date is a May 2008 lecture that
refers to and builds on Parry’s paper; that lecture is my own “Aristotle’s
many-sorted logic” abstracted in the Bulletin of Symbolic Logic (to appear).
It would require a large book to do justice to the subject. In the 25
minutes allotted to me this morning, I will try to give you a feel for the
flavor and scope of the tradition, which combined philosophy, classics,
logic, mathematics, and history.
            I can remember contributions from John Anton, George Boger, John
Corcoran, Newton Garver, James Gasser, John Glanville, Sherwin Iverson, John
Kearns, Lee Mohler, John Mulhern, Mary Mulhern, Sriram Nambiar, William
Parry, Lynn Rose, José Miguel Sagüillo, Michael Scanlan, John Swiniarski,
and Ronald Zirin. Let me know if you think of others. Many of the
contributions were originally presented in the Buffalo Logic Colloquium or
in the UB Philosophy Colloquium; at least three were spawned by discussions
following a Colloquium presentation.

This BLC meeting will preview the talk I will give on Saturday 19 July at
9am opening the UB Alumni Conference. For a PDF preprint, email
corcoran at buffalo.edu with ALUB in the subject line.

FOURTH MEETING
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
12:00-1:30 P.M.
141 Park Hall

SPEAKER: Leigh Duffy, Philosophy, University of Buffalo.
TITLE: Discussing Corcoran’s 1973 “Meanings of Implication”.
ABSTRACT: John Corcoran’s 1973 paper “Meanings of Implication” (Dialogos 9,
59-76) has been translated into Spanish in 1985 as “Significados de la
Implicación” (Agora 5, 279-294) by J. M. Sagillo.  A slightly updated
version was reprinted in the 1993 anthology A Philosophical Companion to
First Order Logic (Hackett Publishing Company).   Copies will be available
at the meeting devoted to discussion and critical examination of selected
passages in the paper. Leigh Duffy will lead the discussion.
For a PDF reprint, email corcoran at buffalo.edu with MI in the subject line.

Future Speakers: David Braun (University of Buffalo), William Demopoulos
(University of Western Ontario), David DeVidi (University of Waterloo),
David Hitchcock (McMaster University) , Stewart Shapiro (Ohio State
University), Barry Smith (University of Buffalo), Leonard Jacuzzo (Canisius
College and Fredonia University), Frango Nabrasa (Manatee Institute).

THESE BROWN-BAG MEETINGS WILL CONTINUE NORMALLY ON TUESDAYS AT NOON THROUGH
JULY, POSSIBLY INTO AUGUST.  COME WHEN YOU ARE FREE. BRING LUNCH. LEAVE WHEN
YOU HAVE TO. ALL ARE WELCOME

To receive this via email, please send your full name and email address to
John Corcoran. For further information, to report glitches, suggest a talk,
unsubscribe or make other suggestions, please email: John Corcoran:
corcoran at buffalo.edu

-