[FOM] Question about Congruence

hdeutsch@ilstu.edu hdeutsch at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 29 16:12:16 EST 2008

At the urging of Vaughan Pratt, and in deference to mathematical
custom, please replace "Let B be a set" by "Let B be a subset of A in
(*) in my earlier posting. hd

Quoting hdeutsch at ilstu.edu:

  Let me clarify the point of my posting "A Question About Congruence."

  In Koslicki, JP, Feb. 2005, Gibbard, Parsons, and me myself, are
  discussed as three differing efforts to solve problems of coincidence
  by placing restrictions on Leibniz' Law.  Gibbard and Parsons are
  criticized for not sufficiently motivating their restrictions.  My own
  restriction is based on the simple technical fact I asked about in my
  earlier posting. The relevant paper is my "Identity and General
  Similarity" in Phil Perspectives, 12, 1998. Koslicki sees that my
  restriction is motivated and is systematic, but claims that it is too
  "course grained."  She does not realize that the condition on the
  right (see my earlier posting) is equivalent to the condition on the
  left--which is itself equivalent to a restricted form of LL.  It's
  just the condition for R to be a congruence w.r.t. B (or a property
  having B as its extension).  As I point out in my posting--and this
  point I hope is up for discussion--congruence relations should be
  playing more of a role in discussions of metaphysical puzzles such as
  identity through change.  But, e.g. discussions of 4Dism, such as
  Sider's, do not apparently see the point.

  I was asking two questions in my earlier posting.  First, is the
  simple fact about closer under equivalence well-known?  Secondly, does
  anyone have anything to say about the philosophical import of the
  principle?