[FOM] The Natural Language Thesis and Formalization

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Jan 25 23:26:10 EST 2008

messing wrote:
> Concerning Steven Gubkin's "perplexity" about can whether the statement
> Ex(Natx) & Func(x)), I think a simple resolution is to adopt the point
> of view that a function f is, by definition, an ordered triple <A,B,G>
> where G is the graph of f, that is Gubkin's set of ordered pairs
> definition and A is the source and B is the target of f.

This is pretty much equivalent to how category theory keeps things
straight.  A morphism has a domain, a codomain, and enough information
to distinguish it from the other morphisms in its homset, making it
essentially a triple as above.

Absent that explicitly given information, telling whether two functions
compose becomes a bit of a hit-or-miss guessing game.

In enriched category theory homsets become homobjects.  A preordered set
(reflexive transitive binary relation) is a category enriched in the
2-element chain.  Only two homobjects are possible, 0 and 1, making it
obvious that the homobjects need to be tagged with additional
information, namely their domain and codomain, in order to describe an
arbitrary preordered set.

Vaughan Pratt