[FOM] CH and mathematics

Alex Blum blumal at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Jan 24 10:46:18 EST 2008

The expression  "accepted by a consensus of mathematicians" or its
cognates have lately been stated a number of times. Joe Shipman stated
it in his recent discussion of  'definiteness'. I understand that it is
a state of art expression. What is unclear to me is the problem it is
addressed to.  Is " accepted..." one with mathematical truth? It can't
be, for an inconsistency may lurk at the very foundations; a
possiblitity that crossed Keisler's mind. We then revise: the
mathematical proposition p is true  iff p is both consistent and  is
accepted by a consensus of the mathematical community. But It is
difficult to think that the truth of  '2>1' has anything to do with what
anyone thinks. True, it may be difficult  to sustain the belief if
objected to, but that may be true of any belief. Consesus, or common
intuition may of course indicate that there is a truth lurking which is
being intuited.

    Regarding  'definite', if it means in effect  'provable from
immaculate assumptions' then being indefinite is a problem only if one
identifies mathematical truth with provability,etc. But why do that? If
it is a bad account, no account may be better.
Alex Blum