[FOM] CH and mathematics

Alex Blum blumal at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Jan 20 05:50:26 EST 2008

Is Feferman's question  in effect an expression of doubt about the
meaningfulness of CH? Would you say that the same would have been true
of Fermat's last theorem would have been proved independent of the
axioms of arithmetic?
    You speak of mathematicians intuitions and refrain from speaking of
mathematical truth. But intuitions about what? Can't all mathematicians
be mistaken?  I now quote from H.Jeome Keisler, in the same book:"What
would happen if a contradiction were found in a very weak system on
which we rely, such as primitive recursive arithmetic?"p180
    I would rather think that the status of CH as a set theoretic
proposition has not changed over time. We now know that it is
independent of the other axioms but its truth is no more a problem than
is that of any of the ZF axioms or for that matter any other
mathematical proposition; or is it?

Alex Blum