[FOM] CH and mathematics

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 19 03:14:28 EST 2008

Well, if i said that i was trailing my coat.  The idea that existence of
a mathematical object is the same as the consistency of its description is
a pervasive view arising - i think - from a subliminal apprehension of the
completeness theorem for first-order logic.  It's not a *completely* crazy
idea; in the context I probably meant that Bill was advocating something
that conflicted with this view and that it might be an idea to think of
his point (whatever it was) in that light.