[FOM] Formalization Thesis

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 17:58:52 EST 2008

On the contrary. The proposed equivalence consists of the following:
given two formalizations of mathematics A and B, and given a statement
X in formalization A, there exists a statement Y in formalization B
such that mathematicians who work in formalization A will agree that a
B-proof of Y entails the existence of an A-proof of X.

As stated, this is probably false, but if you restrict your attention
to "classical logic" and "classical mathematics", and replace
"existence of an A-proof" with "nonexistence of an A-disproof" I think
it is true for all mathematically interesting X.

What do I mean by "mathematically interesting"? Let me give a
counterexample. There is a function rank(X) from sets to ordinals
defined by rank(X) = sup of rank(y) for y in X. "The rank of the
Riemann Zeta Function is omega_plus_4" is has perfectly well-defined
truth-value for any given formalization of sufficiently much analysis
in ZFC, but the truth value depends on the formalization in a totally
uninteresting way and I do not insist that this sentence have an
equivalent in an alternate formalization of mathematics.

-- JS