[FOM] Formalization Thesis vs Formal nature of mathematics

Alex Blum blumal at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Jan 4 04:51:57 EST 2008

Vladimir Sazonov wrote:

 > For me, abstractness of mathematical objects appears to be
consequence of its rigorous (formal) character.

Rigour whether formal or otherwsise can't be enough. Chess has rigourous
rules. The pieces are  concrete  and  they may all be taken as
inerpetations of formal terms.  Is there any subject that cannot be
formalized? In fact given Godel's incompleteness theorem, arithmetic may
be weakest in the area of formalization. I think without demarking the
subject area of mathematics, you won't succeed in isolating the subject.

Alex Blum