[FOM] The Hebrew-English Thesis

catarina dutilh cdutilhnovaes at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 03:04:34 EST 2008

Dear Arnon,

Well, I'm happy that I could be of service by calling your attention to something that is considered a very important issue in the philosophy of language, which is known as the problem of indeterminancy of translation (it applies to Hebrew-English or any other pair of languages). Quine, whose logical skills are, I believe, beyond any doubt, is usually thought to have been the one who started the whole discussion. If you want to read more about it and enlighten yourself a little further, you can start with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminacy_of_translation

But, as I believe this is a topic out of the scope of FOM, if you want to discuss this topic any further, I suggest that this be done off-list.

Regards,

Catarina