[FOM] The Minimal Model of ZF

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 19:33:12 EST 2008

No it isn't inconsistent, you didn't read this as carefully as I worded
it!

I spoke about what "ZFC + M exists as a set" proves *is true in M*, not
what it proves is true in V. "ZFC + M exists as a set" proves that the
following are true in M:

1) ZFC
2) V=L
3) M does not exist as a set
4) Con(ZFC)

Taking "ZFC +V=M" as an axiom system allows us to get 1), 2), and 3),
but not 4). Extending it with my further scheme "assume everything that
would be true in M if M were a set" gives us 4), so it is a genuine
extension, and also a consistent extension, since each axiom in that
axiom scheme is true in M. ("M exists as a set" is NOT one of the
sentences in the axiom scheme, it is a just a tool that allows us to
recognize such sentences.)

-- JS