[FOM] Formalization Thesis

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 2 21:26:39 EST 2008

Andrei Rodin wrote:
>To study (categories of) translations between different mathematical
>theories (including those called "formal systems") is, in my view, more
>important than only establish that such-and-such translation exists.

Your project can be carried out, of course (or at least it can be begun).
Whether it is "more important" is a matter of opinion, but in any case, it
is a *different* question from the Formalization Thesis itself, which I
consider to be interesting in its own right.  Carrying out your project
might help sharpen the discussion, but won't supersede the Formalization
Thesis itself.

Tim