[FOM] V = WF costs nothing

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 15:13:30 EST 2008

I think i see now what you are driving at.  You are defending a thesis
to the effect that you lose no expressive power in restricting yourself
from ZF(C) to ZF(C) + V = WF.  Agreed.  Anything that you deny yourself
by working inside ZF(C) + V = WF you have already denied yourself by
working inside ZF(C).

You are quite right of course, and the theorems that bear this message
should be better known than they are.

So perhaps i shouldn't quibble when you write:

In On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Colin McLarty wrote:

> > The point is that there might be facts about
> > large collections that cannot be presented (``spun'')
> > as facts about wellfounded sets.  Mightn't there?
>
> Well certainly yes.  But none can concern the existence of
> mathematical structures up to isomorphism.

   Why?   Are you saying there are no big mathematical structures?
Isn't this the point at issue?

> > Church gave us a consistent set
> > theory which says there is a universal set.
>

> But this theory makes other changes as well.  It restricts other
> means of set formation.

On the face of it, yes.  But not *morally* as we say.  One of the
axiom schemes is that the wellfounded sets are a model of ZF(C).