[FOM] Understanding Euclid

William Tait williamtait at mac.com
Fri Dec 5 00:02:21 EST 2008

Vaughan,

The converse of Postulate 5 is derivable in Euclid. He does define two
lines to be parallel when they do not intersect. The converse of
Postulate 5 then is: If two lines are perpendicular to a third, then
they are parallel. If they intersected, the three line segments would
form a triangle. Two of its interior angles are, by assumption, equal
to two right angles and so the three interior angles are more than two
right angles,  contradicting Proposition 32 of Book 1.

Proposition 32 does not hold in spherical geometry.

Bill