[FOM] Number theory proof mentioned by Frege

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 16 12:36:14 EDT 2008

In "The Foundations of Arithmetic", Frege mentions a proof from pp.106-7
of Hermann Henkel's Theorie der complexen Zahlensysteme.

"Hankel proves that any closed field of complex numbers of higher order
than the ordinary, if made subject to all the laws of addition and
multiplication, contains a contradiction."  Frege p. 106

I have no copy of the Henkel book available to me.  Is this a well-known
result?  Is this proof discussed or given elsewhere?

Thanks,
Chris Gray
University of Waterloo Library