[FOM] Gödel's Theorem & Hilbert, etc.

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sun Apr 6 02:14:09 EDT 2008

Joseph Hilton <deglitcher at hotmail.com>:

> (1)  I would like to know if anyone on the FOM list has done any
> historical research on the informal reviews and discussions of Gödel's
> theorem before it was published, especially in regard to Hilbert's
> anticipation of just the opposite result.

There are a couple of good sources on this:

Paolo Mancosu: "Between Vienna and Berlin: The Immediate Reception of
Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems",  History and Philosophy of Logic, Volume
20, Number 1, 1 March 1999 , pp. 33-45(13)

John W. Dawson, Jr.: "The Reception of Godel's Incompleteness Theorems",
PSA: Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Philosophy of Science
Association, Vol. 1984, Volume Two: Symposia and Invited Papers (1984), pp.

I also warmly recommend Dawson's excellent scientific biography:
John W. Dawson, Jr.: "Logical Dilemmas: The Life and Work of Kurt Godel", A
K Peters, Ltd. 1997.

On Hilbert's somewhat contrary views, I could perhaps advertize my own

Panu Raatikainen. "Hilbert's Program Revisited", Synthese
Vol. 137, Nos 1-2 / November, 2003.

It can be found here:

See also:

All the Best, Panu