[FOM] What produces certainty in mathematical proofs?

Max Weiss mmweiss at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Sep 20 14:57:50 EDT 2007

I thought one thing we learned from Kripke was to distinguish the metaphysical concept of necessity from epistemological concepts like apriority, certainty and so on.  Necessity should be distinguished from apriority on the grounds that e.g. it is necessary but not apriori that Water=H2O.  And if necessity coincided with certainty, then we could refute a mathematical proposition merely by finding it dubitable.