[FOM] Simple Turing machines, Universality, Encodings, etc.

Hector Zenil hzenilc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:17:53 EDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven at semeiosis.org> wrote:

> Speaking of fallacies and not wishing to push my luck either. But it
> seems to me that the very notion of a Principle of Computational
> Equivalence is unwarranted and fallacious, and fortunately falsifiable.
>

>From my point of view proving Wolfram's PCE is tantamount to proving
the Church-Turing thesis (CT). I see CT as stating an upper limit
while PCE as pushing all non-trivial systems to that limit. PCE
assumes CT, CT does not imply PCE--PCE takes a position on the number
of systems expected to be universal and a threshold between those in
the limit and those below.

If it is falsibiable it would be testable, so it would be interesting
to know how would you proceed.

Hector Zenil

--
Hector Zenil-Chavez
hector.zenil-chavez at malix.univ-paris1.fr
http://zenil.mathrix.org
Université Pantheon-Sorbonne -Paris 1- (IHPST)
Université de Lille I (Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale)
==
Fondation Suisse
Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris
7, bd Jourdan - chr. 114
75014 Paris
France