[FOM] Simple Turing machines, Universality, Encodings, etc.

Hector Zenil hzenilc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:17:53 EDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Steven Ericsson-Zenith <steven at semeiosis.org> wrote:
> Speaking of fallacies and not wishing to push my luck either. But it
> seems to me that the very notion of a Principle of Computational
> Equivalence is unwarranted and fallacious, and fortunately falsifiable.

>From my point of view proving Wolfram's PCE is tantamount to proving
the Church-Turing thesis (CT). I see CT as stating an upper limit
while PCE as pushing all non-trivial systems to that limit. PCE
assumes CT, CT does not imply PCE--PCE takes a position on the number
of systems expected to be universal and a threshold between those in
the limit and those below.

If it is falsibiable it would be testable, so it would be interesting
to know how would you proceed.

Hector Zenil

Hector Zenil-Chavez
hector.zenil-chavez at malix.univ-paris1.fr
Université Pantheon-Sorbonne -Paris 1- (IHPST)
Université de Lille I (Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale)
Fondation Suisse
Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris
7, bd Jourdan - chr. 114
75014 Paris