[FOM] Simplest universal Turing machine

Wojtek Moczydlowski wojtek at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Oct 29 21:43:39 EDT 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Andrej Bauer wrote:

>  "The smallest computation of intermediate degree is larger than
>   the smallest computation of maximal degree."
>
> For example: the smallest Turing machine enumerating a c.e. set of
> maximal degree is smaller than the smallest Turing machine enumerating a
> c.e. set of intermediate degree.
>
> What are some other possible examples on which we could test the
> hypothesis? And how could we express this idea more precisely?
>
> Andrej Bauer

It seems to me that one-rule string-rewriting systems are a good
candidate to test the hypothesis. These are specified by a pair of words
(s, t) over some alphabet, written usually as s->t. Such pair of words
induces in a natural way a (rewriting) relation -> on all words:
->(x,y) holds iff there are words q, w such that x = qsw and y = qtw.
->(x, y) is usually written x->y and read as: "x reduces to y".

The decidability of any reasonable question about infinite behaviour of
these systems even over 2-letter alphabet has been unknown for quite some
time. For example, given s->t, is there a word z allowing infinite
sequence of reductions : z->z_1->z_2->...?