[FOM] Simple Turing machines, Universality, Encodings, etc.

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Oct 29 17:40:30 EDT 2007

Do you mean falsifiable, or already falsified?

I think Wolfram's PCE is reasonably well-specified, though not
mathematically precise, and as I said in a recent post,

***
PCE doesn't need to be precise to be refutable. All one needs to do to
refute it is produce a process which

i) is simpler to define than Wolfram's "universal" examples
ii) does not obviously fail to be c.e.-complete
iii) is nonetheless provably not c.e.-complete
***

I am not aware that Wolfram's PCE has in fact been refuted; if you know
of no refutation, do you at least have a good argument why it is
probably false?

-- JS