[FOM] Does 2^{\aleph_0} = 2^{\aleph_1}?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Oct 28 19:18:38 EDT 2007

the
>aleph-(omega-1)'th successor of kappa) many random reals gives a
>counterexample.

Thnaks for clarifying this. I was aware of the distinction, and by RVM
I understand the same thing you do, that Lebesgue measure can be
extended to all subsets of the real line. However, when I looked at
Fremlin's monograph I misinterpreted the statement of Prikry's theorem,
which does indeed require the stronger statement that the continuum is
a real-valued measurable cardinal (any real-valued measurable cardinal
is weakly inaccessible and no larger than c, but it could be smaller).

My main point was unaffected by this, since the model you describe is
directly constructed to make 2^{aleph-0} be less than 2^{aleph-1},
while I was asking if any models of ~CH which were not specifically so
constructed had nonetheless turned out to have this property.

 From a broader Platonistic perspective, I think the general theme that
the continuum is "much larger" than any sets of smaller cardinality
makes it intuitively plausible that, if an atomlessly-measurable
cardinal exists, the continuum is one, and even that it is the first
one. To the extent that one can imagine a countably additive measure on
all subsets of the continuum, it seems that sets of cardinality smaller
than the continuum "ought" to have measure 0 in that measure.

-- JS