[FOM] Wolfram 2,3 Turing Machine Prize

Wolfram Science Group sw-office at wolfram.com
Wed Oct 24 16:03:21 EDT 2007

We're excited to announce that the $25,000 Wolfram 2,3 Turing
Machine Research Prize has been won.

Alex Smith, a 20-year-old undergraduate in Birmingham, UK, has
given a 40-page proof that Wolfram's 2,3 Turing machine is indeed

This result ends a half-century quest to find the simplest
possible universal Turing machine.

It also provides strong further evidence for Wolfram's Principle
of Computational Equivalence.

The official prize ceremony is planned for November at Bletchley
Park, UK, site of Alan Turing's wartime work.

For more information about the prize and the solution, see:

Stephen Wolfram has posted his personal reaction to the prize at:

-- The Wolfram Science Group

If you wish to change the email address we have on file for you,
please go to:

If you wish to be removed from this list, visit:

This message was sent to <martin at eipye.com> by Wolfram Research, Inc.
Mailing address: 100 Trade Center Dr., Champaign, IL 61820, USA