[FOM] Pure mathematics and humanity's collective curiosity

Alex Blum blumal at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 16 03:58:39 EDT 2007

I don't think Quine meant any disparagement, that for example
mathematics with no potential application is not serious work.   For
surely he didn't mean  to minimalize his life work which he pursued with
great passion. Protagoras the sophist, on the other hand,  if I remeber
correctly, asked Socrates how can a serious man as himself devote his
life to matters which are suitable only for the young.
Alex Blum