[FOM] A proof that cannot be formalized in ZFC

Marcin Mostowski m.mostowski at uw.edu.pl
Sat Oct 6 16:07:06 EDT 2007

Firstly, by the 2nd Goedel Theorem (2GT) you cannot infer existence of a
model for ZF inside ZF assuming consistency of ZF. AC adds nothing, so I
consider ZF instead of ZFC. Therefore your claim 1 should be formulated as a
theorem of ZFC as follows:

If con(ZF) then con(ZF+con(ZF)).

Assuming consistency of ZF this claim cannot be justified so easily because
the theory ZF+con(ZF) is essentially stronger than ZF by 2GT. Take T being
ZF+(not con(ZF)) instead of ZF in your reasoning. con(T) holds provided
con(ZF) holds (everything inside ZF), but con(T+con(T)) is false.

 From the assumption that not con(ZFC+con(ZFC)) you can infer only (again in
ZFC) the following:

D: there is a proof d such that d is ZF-proof for not Con(ZF)

Or equivalently (by the completeness theorem inside ZF)

D.: for each ZF-model M, Con(ZF) is false in M (this sentence should be
understood as ZF-statement).

The sentence D does not contradict to con(ZF). The proof d would be a
nonstandard finite object . in this case it would not be translated into
real proof.

Your last philosophical remark that the common belief that all mathematics
can be formalized in ZFC is false is trivially true. In this sense that some
interesting mathematical sentences cannot be decided inside ZFC. The
simplest example is con(ZFC). Moreover this is true about any reasonable
axiomatic theory. This common belief is popular between some mathematicians
who are not interested in such foundational questions. However even
neglecting logic .all. in the belief declaration cannot be understood
literally.