[FOM] Might there be no inaccessible cardinals?

Rupert McCallum rupertmccallum at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 17:54:12 EDT 2007

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001620/01/How_Set_Theory_Impinges_on_Logic.pdf
> The following sentence caught my eye.
>
> "In ZFC we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of
> inaccessible
> cardinals."
>
> Can anyone (Mosterin perhaps?--I don't have his email address)
> enlighten
> me as to the meaning of "cannot" ("can neither") here?
>
> In the case of "prove" there is no question: "cannot" means it is
> impossible, since there are models of ZFC too small to include an
> inaccessible cardinal.
>
> At first I assumed that he meant the same for "disprove."  But I
> couldn't immediately come up with an equally convincing argument, nor
>
> was Google of much help.
>
> Has this been shown?  Or did Mosterin merely mean that we can't
> *currently* disprove the existence of inaccessible cardinals?
>
> Vaughan Pratt

If ZFC+Con(ZFC) is consistent, then it is not possible to prove in
ZFC+Con(ZFC) that ZFC+"there is an inaccessible cardinal" is
consistent. This follows from the second incompleteness theorem. A
belief that the existence of an inaccessible cardinal is consistent has
to be an article of faith.