[FOM] Simple Turing machines, Universality, Encodings, etc.

Alexander Smith AIS523 at bham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 1 04:58:40 EDT 2007

Looking through the message, it seems that some of my proposed definitions of universality (the second, fourth, and ninth) are accidentally too general, in that a suitable non-universal system can take input representing the rule of a Turing machine/tag system/cyclic tag system and a number of steps to emulate it for, and deduce its behaviour to that number of steps from anything; 'non-universal' is clearly too lenient a restriction here. The eighth definition does actually require some input representing the system in question, but still suffers from much the same problem.

The fact that I made this mistake shows that care in defining universality is needed, to make sure that the definition ensures that the universality resides in the system in question and not in an input or output mechanism. Definitions based on solving the 'halting problem', where 'halt' is redefined to make sense with respect to the system in question, seem at present more likely to avoid this particular problem.

Despite these problems with the specifics of what I've written in the quoted message, I still think that the general points I was making, and the specific points in the other sections of the message, are correct.

--
Alex Smith

  _____