[FOM] IASE: Prof John McCarthy. Consciousness as Internal Experience (event)

Steven Ericsson-Zenith steven at semeiosis.org
Mon May 28 16:46:41 EDT 2007

INSTITUTE FOR ADVANCED SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
FOUNDATIONS OF LOGIC AND APPREHENSION SEMINAR

Consciousness as Internal Experience

Professor John McCarthy, Stanford University

At CSLI, Cordura Hall, Stanford University.
June 12th, 2007, 4:15pm to 5:45pm

Details: http://iase.info/events

Abstract

Conscious knowledge and other information is distinguished from
unconscious information by being observable, and its observation
results in conscious knowledge about it. We call this introspective
knowledge; it's an internal form of experience.

A robot will need to use introspective knowledge in order to operate
in the common sense world and accomplish the tasks humans will give it.

Many features of human consciousness will be wanted, some will not,
and some abilities not possessed by humans have already been found
feasible and useful in limited domains. We give preliminary fragments
of a logical language a robot can use to represent information about
its own state of mind.

A robot will often have to conclude that it cannot decide a question
on the basis of the information in memory and therefore must seek
information externally. Paradoxes, e.g. as mentioned by Montague, lie
in wait for us here, but Godel's idea of relative consistency lets us
formalize non-knowledge and avoid paradox. It turns out that relative
consistency, is the basis of many other introspective abilities.

Programs with much introspective consciousness do not yet exist.

Thinking about consciousness with a view to designing it provides a
new approach to some of the problems of consciousness studied by
philosophers.

IASE Introduction

By Steven Ericsson-Zenith, Chairman of IASE

Is the manifest existence of experience in the world to be mastered
only by poets and priests, or is its mystery one that science can
disclose?

Before 1950 the answer was clear, experience lay at the foundation of
scientific consideration. But the positivist agenda was abandoned, in
part because the implementations of logic in computing machinery
proved so successful.