[FOM] Cohen and Kunen as sources on forcing

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sat May 19 19:39:16 EDT 2007

Cohen's book is a classic -- not only the best book to begin work in
set theory, but the best general introduction to logic. Its only fault
is that it is still in informal "lecture note" format and was never
revised.

Another excellent introductory text, unorthodox and demanding in its
approach but very thorough and a good complement to Cohen's book, is
Manin's "A Course in Mathematical Logic", Springer GTM #53.

Both these works have the great merit of being well-written and aimed
at beginners.

After they have been fully digested, any other book on Set Theory is
fine, though I would recommend Jech's 3rd edition as the best for
someone trying to find research to do, since it is much broader than
Kunen, Drake, Hajnal & Hamburger, etc., and is an absolutely essential
reference book anyway.