[FOM] A different type of cardinal "collapse"

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Wed May 16 09:41:00 EDT 2007

Responding to my own post pre-emptively:

1) Of course all large cardinal axioms are equiconsistent with
arithmetical statements, but that's not what I mean when I ask for
alternative axioms about "small sets"; I hope everyone understands the
distinction I am making, because it's a difficult one to formalize.

2) A large-cardinal property of a cardinal kappa whose definition
refers to arbitrarily large sets can be replaced by an axiom about the
"intrinsic" property of being a universe large enough to have a
cardinal with the original property. Thus, "kappa is supercompact" can
be replaced by "there exists kappa < lambda such that V_lambda |-
'kappa is supercompact' "-- as far as lambda is concerned, this is an
"intrinsic" property which doesn't change as the universe expands. How
much weaker is this alternative (in general, and in the specific case
of supercompactness)?

-- JS