[FOM] Question about cardinal collapse

Robert M. Solovay solovay at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Wed May 16 03:14:54 EDT 2007

Adding new functions does not lead to cardinal collapse. The simplest
example is to add to V a single generic subset of omega. Then it is easy
to see that for every infinile kappa and lambda > 1 there is a new
function from kappa to lambda. {Let it be the coordinates of the new Cohen
map from omega to 2 on the first omega elements of kappa and otherwise 0.]
But a basic result of Cohen is that no cardinals are collapsed. {Because
the forcing satisfies the countable antichain condition.}

 	--Bob Solovay