[FOM] "Progress" in philosophy

Robbie Lindauer rlindauer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:19:09 EDT 2007

I'm not sure what charles' beef with philosophy is, could he please
explain his position re, for instance, Lewis' "Counterfactuals"
Chapter 6?

Are the formal arguments presented there "bad" or just "bad philosophy"?

Is the book as a whole, because philosophy, "bad" or is it bad
because it is Lewis' attempt at obscurity-ensuing fame?

Formal arguments "for" the existence of God are apparently "bad".
What about those against?  How about formal arguments for other
possible worlds?  Are they "bad"?  How about formal arguments for the
existence of the "ether" are they "bad"?

Why are those formal arguments worse than formal arguments in
mathematics?  Or even worse than any common presentation of modus
ponens?  He (Lewis) is working out the consequences of some stated
assumptions.  That, apparently, has a kind of value.  That his
overall assumption is ludicrous is irrelevant (e.g. that there are
these other worlds to which we can't possibly have access of any kind
and yet about which we apparently know quite a lot).

Thankfully - philosophers, rhetoricians and logicians throughout time
- have made an attempt to answer these questions about what makes
arguments good and bad.  This is the reason we have the notions of
soundness, validity, strength, proof, axiom, assumption, inference,
etc.  All this waffling about the question is just to ignore those
fundamental distinctions - distinctions upon which mathematics itself
is based.  So, I think, Charles' dictum "no further progress is
possible, a proof is a proof" (quoted below) is just ignoring the
fine distinctions which we thankfully have.

In the case of axiomatic mathematics, we have what philosophers call
"valid but not obviously sound" arguments - arguments where the
conclusions follow from their premises, but premises which themselves
are doubtable.  To make a stronger claim for them is to claim to have
a stronger proof - a proof of the axioms, for instance.  The value of
having these stronger proof is undeniable, but the idea that someone
possesses them and is not sharing is nearly ludicrous.

Now, there are, of course, philosophers (maybe mathematicians too?)
who generally deny the importance of these concepts of kinds of
argument and proof given that we could have different ones, but among
the "progress" that philosophers have made is that there is some
agreement about what it is to have demonstrated something at all
(even if nobody thinks this has ever been done except in the
negative), and what it is to have committed a fallacy of one kind or
another (and there's a great internet archive of the various fallacies).

It is possible that because of the distinctions that philosophers
have made, what Charles announces as a "proof-is-a-proof" simply
doesn't exist.  It may be that there are only degrees of soundness in
arguments with variously strong assumptions, etc.  I think, in fact,
this is a "known known" in many ways.  The number of your axioms and
the strength of your inference rules determines the extent to which
you should advertise an argument as a proof.  In fact, I think this
way of regarding "proof" is essential to science - to seeing that
anything we may now accept as true may be false and that the reasons
we may have for accepting them may be replaced or have other
conclusions drawn from them.

The opposite attitude is a dogmatism which has some obvious value for
some philosophical programs, but has to be regarded as unscientific,
surely, and can never really pretend to having intellectual force
except inasmuch as it makes good propaganda and "there is a sucker
born every minute".

Robbie Lindauer
robblin at thetip.org

On Mar 12, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Charles Silver wrote:

> Formalized arguments in philosophy tend to be awful, *especially*
> those purporting to prove the existence of God.   Expansion is...
> just expansion.  (Reminds me of a friend who once boasted that at
> least he never wrote a bad novel--not having written one at all.) If
> certain sorts of arguments are junky, more of the same are just more
> junk, it seems to me.

and ...

	Well, suppose a formal argument, as you recommend above, was an
actual *proof* of the existence of God.  Then, there would be no
further progress, as a proof is a proof.  -->> I'm just quibbling; I
know you didn't really mean this!   I agree with what you meant.