[FOM] Progress in Philosophy

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 10 11:51:58 EST 2007

"Studtmann, Paul" <pastudtmann at davidson.edu> wrote:
> When Godel compares philosophy to mathematics in Babylonian times, he
> seems to be suggesting that philosophy is capable, though perhaps only
> in the distant future, of some kind of systematic body of theory that is
> as well-established as mathematics, or, if one is not quite so
> optimistic, perhaps as well-established as some branches of empirical
> science, for instance psychology.
[...]
>  let's hear the arguments.  Or, if one prefers, one can provide some
>  methodology, (or indeed, I would be satisfied with a mere suggestion as
>  to what such a methodology might look like) that would, if carried out
>  properly, settle the debate.

There's a significant leap from "systematic body of theory" to "settling
debate."  Due to the very nature of philosophical inquiry, it is hard to
imagine that any debates in philosophy will be *settled*, other than by
forcibly silencing dissidents.  Defining philosophical progress in terms
of settling debates seems therefore to be seriously wrongheaded.  Even in
mathematics, has the "debate" about whether, say, the circle can be
squared been "settled" in the sense that no human being disagrees?  No.

Accumulating a "systematic body of theory" might be a more promising
measure of progress.  So might Friedman's metric, which if I understand
correctly amounts to counting how many other disciplines are spawned by
philosophical thinking.  But settling debates?  I'm dubious.

Tim