[FOM] Mathematics and precision

Henrik Nordmark henriknordmark at mac.com
Fri Mar 9 18:34:30 EST 2007

> Neither can the methodological abstraction make sense without some
> concrete associations and ontology to guarantee that it is
> sufficiently mathematical and precise.

Actually, I would make an even stronger claim. It seems to me that
ALL abstract thought is the result of our mind doing operations that
are in their origin concrete operations we perform in daily life in a
much less abstract setting.

However, I am not exactly sure why this would be relevant to what
Timothy was pointing out regarding Mathematics being defined by that
which meets a certain level of precision.

Best,
Henrik.

Henrik Nordmark
Institute for Logic, Language and Computation
Universiteit van Amsterdam
www.henriknordmark.com