[FOM] Did Goedel "read philosophy"?

Charles Parsons parsons2 at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 7 17:36:21 EST 2007

At 9:13 AM -0700 3/7/07, Jim Hardy wrote:
>Actually, Godel even did some philosophy.  There's a version of the
>Ontological argument due to Godel.  Here's the reference.
>
>Kurt Sobel, "Goedel's Ontological Proof" in {\it On Being and Saying},
>Judith Thomson ed., Cambridge MA, 1987.

Neither Mr. Buckner nor Mr. Hardy seems to be aware that there are
five volumes of Goedel's Collected Works in print (Oxford University
Press, 1986-2003). There are several papers in volumes II and III
that would be described as philosophical, including his notes on the
ontological argument. Other items in these volumes, including the
correspondence in volumes IV-V, give quite a bit of evidence about
his engagement with philosophy and what he read.

Another source is the two books by Hao Wang, _Refelctions on Kurt
Goedel_ (MIT Press, 1987) and _A Logical Journey: From Goedel to
Philosophy_ (MIT Press, 1986), as well as papers in various
publications, in particular the Bulletin of Symbolic Logic.

Charles Parsons