[FOM] Goedel on Philosophy

Bob Hadley hadley at cs.sfu.ca
Mon Mar 5 17:27:45 EST 2007

 In my view, there has been a great deal of progress in Philosophy
 within the past 150 years, but the progress must be judged by standards
 different from those which Goedel apparently had in mind.  Comparatively few
 areas of study in Philosophy benefit from the kind of rigorous formalization
 found in meta-mathematics.  Moreover, care must be taken to avoid
 "mindless formalism" when one attempts to translate philosophical
 arguments into symbolic logic.

 Even where such formalization is fruitful, substantial debate often persists
 concerning the truth of the fundamental premises involved.  This is true, for
 example, in the realm of "epistemic logics".

 On the positive side, in terms of the degree of subtlety in the
 analysis of concepts
 and in the formation of  new conjectures and theories (for example
 in Philosophy of Mind) there has been substantial progress.  Also,
 in the view of many philosophers steeped in the British Analytical
 tradition, the degree of rigour expected in published argumentation increased
 dramatically, at least beginning with the influence of Russell and Moore,
 in the past century.

 Regards,

 Bob Hadley