[FOM] Mathematics and precision

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 5 09:51:31 EST 2007

Henrik Nordmark <henriknordmark at mac.com> wrote:
> However, I would not want to say that formal systems have a monopoly
> on precision. This would put the threshold of precision way too high.
> Most mathematics gets written in natural languages like Mathematical
> English and NOT in some formal system.

Yes.  Let me quote from a private email that I just sent to someone who
asked me for clarification.  By saying that mathematics is defined by
some threshold of precision, I do not mean to specify what that threshold
is.  Some possible thresholds might be:

1. Publishable in a reputable mathematical journal.

2. In principle formalizable in ZFC.

3. Intuitionistically acceptable.

4. Predicatively acceptable.

5. Finitistic and feasible enough even for V. Sazonov.

I'm not advocating any particular one of these thresholds.  Doing so would
be more or less slotting myself into a familiar philosophy of mathematics.
The argument I want to make is that all these folks are doing the same
thing---they're defining mathematics by specifying a threshold of
precision, whatever that threshold might be.

This is in contrast to other subjects where debates about "What is X?" are
typically debates about what the *subject matter* is.  Physics, for
example, is the theoretical and experimental study of the physical world.
If you're not studying the physical world, then you're not doing physics.
On the other hand, you can be studying the physical world and doing
mathematics at the same time, if your study is sufficiently precise.

Tim