[FOM] Mathematics and precision

Henrik Nordmark henriknordmark at mac.com
Sun Mar 4 06:54:37 EST 2007

> I cannot imagine anything really precise which cannot be still
> called a formal system. At least, for the contemporary state of
> affairs nothing better exists.

I tend to agree that there is nothing better in terms of precision
than a formal system.

However, I would not want to say that formal systems have a monopoly
on precision. This would put the threshold of precision way too high.
Most mathematics gets written in natural languages like Mathematical
English and NOT in some formal system.

Thus, if one wants to use a threshold precision as a way of defining
the scope of Mathematics, it seems reasonable to put that threshold
sufficiently low to include what most mathematicians do in everyday
life.

And how high should the threshold be?
High enough that we feel confident that in principle what we are
doing can be formalized even though we may not want to bother doing so.

Henrik Nordmark.

Henrik Nordmark
Institute for Logic, Language and Computation
Universiteit van Amsterdam
www.henriknordmark.com