[FOM] Mathematics and precision

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 3 12:19:58 EST 2007

Some years ago it occurred to me that a possible definition of mathematics
is that anything that is *sufficiently precise* is mathematics.

The term "sufficiently precise" it itself not sufficiently precise to
count as mathematical, but perhaps it is sufficiently precise to be a
useful idea.  A trained mathematician instinctively knows when some
problem or concept has been posed precisely enough to allow mathematical
investigation.  Moreover, once something is sufficiently precise, it can
be brought into the purview of mathematical knowledge and techniques and
connected to other mathematical concepts, regardless of its origin.  Thus
mathematics, unlike most other fields of study, is characterized not so
much by its *subject matter* as by a certain *threshold of precision*.

I believe that Hartry Field once undertook a project to develop
"mathematics without numbers," replacing number with something like
regions of space as the foundational concept.  I did not study this
project in detail, but my initial reaction was that for such a project to
succeed, all that would be needed would be to make "regions of space"
*sufficiently precise*, and then certainly much of mathematics could be
recovered, and moreover a classical mathematician (who was unconcerned
with philosophical purity and hygiene in the realm of ontology) would
probably see different foundations as nearly interchangeable and
mutually intepretable.

I wonder if this point of view has been developed in more detail by any
philosophers of mathematics?  It is different from "structuralist" views,
which emphasize the *relations* between mathematical objects rather than
their intrinsic ontology, because my focus is on precision rather than
structure.  It is different from logicism and formalism, because I am not
claiming that formal logic has a monopoly on precision.

Tim