[FOM] Conway's Angel and Devil problem

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 02:02:17 EDT 2007

Update -- the crumpling is easy even in just 4 dimensions -- the first
of the two moves of the power-2 angel in 2 dimensions is mirrored in
the first two of the 4 dimensions by the power-1 4-d angel, and the
second of the two moves of the power-2 angel in 2 dimensions is made in
the other two of the 4 dimensions by the power-1 4-d angel.

So all that's left is the case of a power-1 angel in deminsion 3 --
here the crumpling also looks possible, because there is enough room at
the core (27 distance <=1  neighbors in 3-d vs 25 distance <=2
neighbors in 2-d, and the growth is cubic rather than quadratic so
there is more crumpling room further out).

-- JS