[FOM] Who was Luc Jardie?

Verelst Karin kverelst at vub.ac.be
Wed Jun 6 20:28:43 EDT 2007

I do not know that movie, but the philosopher you are looking for is without a trace of doubt Jean Cavaillès. He was an important philsopher of mathematics, linked to the Bourbaki-group, editor (together with Emmy Noether) of the Cantor/Dedekind Briefwechsel, and author of (amongst others):

* Méthode axiomatique et formalisme, Paris, Hermann, 1938.
* Sur la Logique et la théorie de la science, Paris, PUF, 1947.

He was murdered ("executed") as a member of the résistance in Arras, in 1944. After the war, his body was buried in the chapelle de la Sorbonne.

Karin Verelst