[FOM] history of diagonal argument

Robert Black Mongre at gmx.de
Sun Jul 22 03:34:19 EDT 2007

Does it have to be decimal? In the paper you
mention Cantor shows by diagonalization that
there are uncountably many formal binary
expansions. Then in §4 of the Beitraege (see pp.
288-289 of the Zermelo-edited Abhandlungen) he
argues that only countably many of the reals have
two binary expansions and that removing a
countable set from a set of power 2^Âleph_0
doesn't affect cardinality. See Zermelo's
editorial note on pp. 280-81.

Robert

--
This mail is coming from my gmx address because
the University of Nottingham doesn't allow smtp

Robert Black
Dept of Philosophy
University of Nottingham
Nottingham NG7 2RD