[FOM] Wittgenstein's '770' in pi

Grant Olney Passmore moment at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Jul 15 17:26:19 EDT 2007

Dear Harold,

I have two comments that may or may not be helpful.

(1) Though I'm unfamiliar with discussions like this appearing in
mainstream number theory work (which isn't saying much, as I am
unfamiliar with almost everything), I have seen such discussions come up
rather often in writings on constructivism, especially in regards to
intuitionism and Brouwerian counter-examples.  One can use the
determination of the existence of a specified sequence of digits in the
decimal expansion of pi as the basis for a Brouwerian counter-example to
the intermediate value theorem, for instance.

(2) A quick search yields that `770' appears in the decimal expansion of
pi, as digits 1307-1309 (counting `3' as digit 1).

Best wishes,
Grant