[FOM] Type/occurrence/token again

John Corcoran corcoran at buffalo.edu
Sun Jul 8 06:49:53 EDT 2007

For more on this see the following.

1. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/schema/

2. Corcoran, J. 2006 Schemata: the Concept of Schema in the History of
Logic. Bulletin of Symbolic Logic. 12 (2006) 219-40.

3. TYPE-TOKEN: A common mode of estimating the amount of matter in a .
printed book is to count the number of words. There will ordinarily be about
twenty 'thes' on a page, and, of course, they count as twenty words. In
another sense of the word 'word,' however, there is but one word 'the' in
the English language; and it is impossible that this word should lie visibly
on a page, or be heard in any voice .. Such a . Form, I propose to term a
Type. A Single . Object . such as this or that word on a single line of a
single page of a single copy of a book, I will venture to call a Token. ..
In order that a Type may be used, it has to be embodied in a Token which
shall be a sign of the Type, and thereby of the object the Type signifies. -
Peirce 1906, Ogden-Richards, 1923, 280-1.

John Corcoran
Philosophy
University of Buffalo
Buffalo NY 14260-4150