[FOM] Two Questions About Second-order Branching Quantifiers

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 27 03:40:48 EST 2007

There's a theorem about this in the literature, connecting branching
quantifiers to NP formulae.  No doubt others will be quick off the mark
with the details.  I have a student about to start work on this stuff, and
it has been much on my mind.

As for how to write these things in LaTeX you might find this illustration
useful.

\begin{equation}\label{eqn2}
  \left(
  \begin{array}{r}
      \forall x \exists y \\
      \forall x'\exists y' \\
       \end{array}\right)
  \left( (x = x' \to y = y') \wedge R(x,y) \wedge R(x',y')
\right)\end{equation}

If anyone has a better way i'd be glad to learn of it.

     tf

--
www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~tf;  Home phone +44-1223-704452.
work: +44-1223-337981. Mobile in UK +44-7887-701-562