[FOM] Primitive and defined symbols for mereology

Marcus Rossberg mr30 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jan 15 12:18:25 EST 2007

Neil,

Le\'sniewski's mereology is formulated in his term logic. The locus
classicus for a mereology formulated in FOL is:

Henry S. Leonard and Nelson Goodman: "The calculus of individuals and
its uses", Journal of Symbolic Logic 5 (1940), pp. 45--55

and later with slight changes in the formulation in:

Nelson Goodman: The Structure of Appearance. 3rd ed. Dordrecht:
Riedel, 1977

For German readers an excellent survey covering a plethora of
different systems since (and including) Le\'sniewski (including a ton
of theorems and equivalence proofs for e.g. the systems of Le
\'snieski and Leonard/Goodman) is:

Lothar Ridder: Mereologie. Frankfurt/Main: Kosterman, 2002

Peter Simon's superb book investigates weaker mereological systems:

Peter Simons: Parts: A study in ontology, (Oxford: Oxford University
Press: 1987)

Much awaited and long overdue:

Hans Burkhardt et al. (eds.): Handbook of Mereology.
http://www.philosophiaverlag.com/philosophia.php?la=us&content=7&id=76

Hope all is well!

Best wishes,
Marcus