[FOM] Why inclusive disjunction? A conclusive summary

Kenny Easwaran easwaran at berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 14 20:05:05 EST 2007

I believe at least one reason was mentioned in this discussion that
was left out of this list, namely, the Gricean explanation.  There are
clear reasons why a connective that semantically expresses inclusive
"or" might often pragmatically implicate an exclusive "or" (which is a
stronger claim), while there are very few conditions under which a
connective semantically expressing exclusive "or" would somehow only
pragmatically commit one to the weaker inclusive "or".

In fact, it would seem very surprising if any language had a
connective that clearly indicated exclusive "or", for precisely this
reason.  (The supposed counterexample of Latin is discussed in the
Stanford Encyclopedia page on disjunction, together with some good
clarification of a lot of issues brought up in this thread.)

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/disjunction/

Kenny Easwaran