[FOM] The empty set

Tom McKay tjmckay at syr.edu
Wed Feb 28 16:57:04 EST 2007

Pollard's argument here seems fallacious. For the conclusion to follow, we
would have to presuppose that {x: not x=x} refers to something. If we are
really wondering whether the empty set exists, we can't presuppose that. The
following argument would make a similar mistake (and it is clearly invalid):

If x is one of the things that are non-self-identical, the x is
non-self-identical.
No thing is non-self-identical.
So some things [the non-self identical things] are such that no thing is
among them.

Tom

--
Tom McKay
Philosophy
tjmckay at syr.edu

Plural Predication
Available now through all good bookshops, or direct from Oxford University
Press at:
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-927814-8