[FOM] How much of math is logic?

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 28 19:20:26 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, joeshipman at aol.com wrote:
> In that case, "(ZFC-)mathematics is logic plus the Axiom of Infinity" is
> NOT necessarily true, and I would like to hear arguments against it.

My suggestion is that, in order to avoid arguments about contentious
topics that are tangential to your (first) main question, you rephrase
your question as follows:

For suitable "X", one can say that ZFC = logic + AxInf + X.  Just how weak
can "X" be made to be?

This sidesteps potentially irrelevant and distracting questions of the
form, "Hmmm...is that X a *logical* assumption or not?"

I am still interested in a summary of what Russell did.  I can't believe
that I'm the only one on FOM who doesn't know exactly what degree of
strength each of the assumptions in PM buys you.

Tim