[FOM] How much of math is logic?

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 03:19:51 EST 2007

Logicism seems to be considered passe nowadays, but I have not found
the arguments against it convincing.

Treating "logical validity" as an undefined term which I would like to
understand better, I request examples of the folllowing:

1) A theorem of Peano Arithmetic which is not equivalent to a logical
validity

2) A theorem of ZF without the axiom of Infinity which is not
equivalent to a logical validity

3) An existing open question (outside of set theory) which is not
equivalent to a sentence of second-order logic (with standard semantics)

4) An argument against second-order logic with standard semantics that
does not simply amount to "a logic should have a well-behaved proof
theory or a complete deductive calculus" or "since second-order logical
validity depends on which set-theoretical assumptions are true it is
not really logical validity".

I am interested in defendiing these two propositions:

i) Any arithmetical sentence provable in ZF is a logical consequence of
the axiom of infinity.
ii) An oracle for second-order validity decides any mathematical
question of interest to non-logicians.

-- JS