[FOM] Conservative Extensions of Logic

negri@mappi.helsinki.fi negri at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu Feb 8 05:22:01 EST 2007

Dear Dr. Muller,

A proof of conservativity of predicate logic with equality over predicate
logic can be found in our book "Structural Proof Theory", (CUP 2001,
theorem 6.5.6, p. 141). The proof is based on the formulation of predicate
logic in terms of sequent calculus. The equality axioms are converted into
extra rules and conservativity follows from cut elimination.

We showed our proof to Anne Troelstra before it was published in our book.
He was very pleased about it and asked to include it in the second edition
of "Basic Proof Theory." (CUP, 2000). Thus, you find the proof-theoretic
treatment of the matter also in that book.

regards,

Sara Negri & Jan von Plato