[FOM] more about identities

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Mon Feb 5 17:15:43 EST 2007

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry about identities.

It turns out that my friend is asking a more difficult question. He
asks whether there is an algorithm to determine whether a given
equation follows from a given finite set of such equations if THE
OPERATIONS ARE RESTRICTED TO A SINGLE BINARY OPERATION. Constants and
unary operations are not permitted.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley